Follow by Email

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Independence Day at the Hispanic Food and Music Festival

I love Hispanic culture. I love Hispanic food even more. However, there has to be a limit on how much we're going to bend to the annihilation of our culture. In Fort Wayne, Indiana, someone at city hall allowed the scheduling of the Hispanic Food and Music Festival on the Fourth of July.

I had to go. First, I had to see if anyone would show up (we were practically the only people there). Secondly, my wife was bored, so we had to go somewhere because, as all married men know, it is the solemn duty of every husband to keep his wife entertained every moment of her life. Therefore, we packed up the kids and headed to Headwaters Park, square in the center of downtown Fort Wayne.

We arrived at about eleven o'clock, one hour after the event opened. At first, there was only one other group there. In contrast, there were at least ten vendors. The Democrats and Republicans had voter sign-up booths. If it weren't for the blaring Santana music, you could hear a pin drop.

We dutifully bought some overpriced tacos of questionable quality (I really miss the authentic Mexican food so bountiful in California) and sat down to eat. Finding seating was, of course, no problem. I couldn't share in the repast because of my current dietary restrictions, so I wandered over to the Obama table to pester people. I asked some rather impertinent questions whose answers I'd like to share with you.

Question One: Do you have a way to check people's citizenship before you let them register?

Answer: No. We're not allowed to ask people about it.

Question Two: Don't you think that's a recipe for voter fraud?

Answer: Well, most non-citizens we talk to tell us and politely refuse to register.

Question Three: If they don't tell you, is their citizenship checked anywhere in the registration process, like in some computer database?

Answer: No, I don't think so. But they do have to show I.D. when they vote.

Question Four: Doesn't that just verify residence, not citizenship?

Answer: Well yes, but I don't think it is such a big deal. I mean, we're in Indiana after all.

Question Five: I come from California. There are a lot of illegals and other immigrants. Do you think it makes a difference there?

Answer: Oh, well, yeah... In California, sure.

That was a surprisingly candid conversation. Voter fraud is easy to perpetrate. The registration process is the primary culprit. If we want truly American elections, unaffected by the votes of foreign nationals, we need to pass a law requiring that everyone provide either a birth certificate or naturalization papers at the time of registration. Voter I.D. laws are a step in the right direction, but are insufficient.

The only reason to oppose such measures is the intent to facilitate voter fraud. Wait a minute... Don't Democrats always oppose things like that? Does that mean that they want voter fraud to happen? No! It couldn't be!

Yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Please share your opinion...